- 1 pound loaf crusty peasant-style sourdough or whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated on a Microplane*
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Let cool until just cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and garlic. Add the tomatoes and cheese and toss to coat them with the dressing. Add the bread and toss until mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand 10 minutes, toss again, and garnish with basil just before serving.
* If you don't have a Microplane, you can mince the garlic then crush it with the side of a chef's knife untiI it's nearly a paste. Then go out and get a Microplane! You won't believe how much you use it!)