- I like honeydew melon in this salsa, it pairs incredibly well with the cardamom. Cantaloupe is also perfect (and the classic partner with prosciutto). I don't recommend using watermelon for this; I like it better in a salad with feta and mint... like this one. You can also use basil in place of the mint; i would leave out the cardamom in that case.
- For the Melon Salsa:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons mint chiffonade
- Kosher salt
- For the Prosciutto Chips:
- 8 paper-thin slices prosciutto, cut crosswise in half
- Olive oil, as needed
In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice and cardamom. Add the melon and toss to mix. Add the mint and toss to mix. Season lightly with salt. Set aside while you make the chips.
Line a plate with paper towels. Lightly brush one side of each prosciutto slice with oil. Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 slices of the prosciutto, oiled side down. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn the prosciutto over and cook until the other side is browned, flattening with the spatula, about 1 minute longer. Using tongs, transfer prosciutto to paper towels to crisp. Repeat the with remaining prosciutto and set aside.
To serve, top each chip with about 2 tablespoons of salsa and serve right away.