- 1 baguette French bread, about 14 inches long, unsliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 6-ounce cans tuna packed in olive oil, undrained
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Nicoise olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup basil chiffonade
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Slice bread in half lengthwise. Use your fingers to scoop out the bread form the inside of the loaf, leaving about a 3/4-inch shell. Brush the insides with olive oil.
Combine tuna, tomatoes, olives, onion, and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon the tuna mixture evenly into bottom bread shell. Spread the basil chiffonade evenly over the mixture. Cover with the top half of the baguette and wrap tightly with plastic. Place the sandwich on a baking sheet; top with another baking pan and weight with heavy cans. Let stand at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
Unwrap the sandwich and cut into 1 1/2-inch slices. Serve right away.